And so it begins

The demolition started and holy toledo what a mess. However, thankfully a lot of people came out to help and essentially the kitchen was down to studs and floor boards in a day and a half. In fact, even my 70 something year old cousin got in on the fun. As Gina would say, he is “Bad-Ass”. There weren’t any surprises, unfortunately. I was hoping for some long lost Van Gogh painting or bags of gold bullion to perhaps pay for this renovation. Nope. Nothing aside from some 1934 ripped up newspaper stuffed under the insulation in the attic. What I was happy to find though, was the brick chimney that runs through the kitchen wasn’t in bad condition and if the city allows us, I am going to keep it exposed (since that was in my plan anyway).

 

The before demolition……

 

photo 17       photo 18     photo 19     photo 20

 

 

 

The after demolition began…..

 

 

 

photo 1      photo 2     photo 3    photo 4    photo 5

 

photo 6

 

 

 

In the first pictures, you can see the room pretty much empty and hopefully get a better idea of what I was dealing with, space-wise. In the second group, the day and a half it took to demo the room.

Some things we did find after we removed the walls that were kind of a pain, is that the hot water line ran up the back of the chimney, into the attic then back down the wet wall. I can’t figure out why they would do that. Luckily the pipe was wrapped and it never froze, but so weird. We also noticed that the plumbing was a mess. The pipes ran across the wall, some behind the studs, some in front of the studs that were notched. It looked like a mess and at one point, a valve broke and started spraying water every where. Too bad, I didn’t get a picture of that. That would have been worth a Van Gogh in my eyes 🙂 The electrical wasn’t too bad. We pretty much knew what all the wires were to.

photo 8

 

 

We were not planning to rip the floors down to the floor boards or even remove the ceiling. But you know how it is in demolition, once one thing goes, it just makes sense to remove it all. Even the casings to all the doors and windows! When we ripped up the old linoleum floors, we did find wood floor underneath. However, it was so mismatched and damaged, it just wasn’t worth saving. Plus, we didn’t want the kitchen to be as raised as it was and wanted to try and keep a seamless transition into the hallway and dining room, as much as we could anyway, so out the floors came. It also made it easier to redo the plumbing (and run a water line to the fridge for the ice maker, no more lugging ice bags from the basement for the Margarita Machine!!) and electrical as there were no obstacles and Tony (electrician-BIL) didn’t have to spend hours in the attic and basement running lines up. Because the house panel was full, we ended up putting a sub panel in the kitchen and ran everything off of that. While I wasn’t too keen on the idea of a panel in the kitchen, it just made everything a lot easier. I was planning to hang a Pottery Barn message center (Corkboard/chalkboard) on that wall anyway so either way, it will be hidden.

photo 9     photo 15       photo 16

 

What I did fail to mention was I was the one in the attic for two days assisting removing the ceiling. I hope it paid off in calories burned as it was about 110 degrees up there! But in doing all this (basically me shoveling insulation to the other side of the attic, was gain some future storage space!!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s